Looking for a TiO2 - free coating system?
The use of TiO2 (E171) free coatings systems is gaining more interest in the pharmaceutical industry, especially after the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) concluded that TiO2 can no longer be considered as a safe food additive. There are alternatives, which cannot be considered as direct replacements but that show promising results for pharma and nutra applications.
- Depending on the film forming polymer used, pigment loads of up to 60% were investigated.
- When used at low weight gain, the coating polymers give different degrees of whiteness.
- Pigment combinations were evaluated to check synergistic effect on the whiteness.
- The pigment performance is dependent on the pigment load and weight gain.
- Care needs to be taken when preparing and operating the coating dispersion, especially with high pigment loads.
- Using a ready-to-use TF dispersion is often the easiest solution.