Dexmedetomidine is an imidazole derivative. It is a relatively selective α2-adrenergic receptor agonist indicated for:
- Sedation of initially intubated and mechanically ventilated patients during treatment in an intensive care setting.
- Sedation of non-intubated patients prior to and/or during surgical and other procedures.
Initial US FDA approval: 1999
First marketing authorization in EU: 2011
Psycholeptics, other hypnotics and sedatives
ATC code: N05CM18
Key dosage forms
- Injectable (4 mcg/mL, 100 mcg/mL)
- Strong API manufacturer support
- Leading supplier in China, for both API and FDF
- API manufacturer supplies reference standard to the USP
Some brand names
- PRECEDEX® (HOSPIRA under Orion's license)
- DEXDOR® (ORION)